1. Ignoring the focal point. If you’ve got it, flaunt it. Decorating around your focal point is easy. How do you use your room? Is it a TV room? Is the fireplace the most prominent feature? Do you have a view that you sit and enjoy? ReDesign your room so you can enjoy that main attraction.
2. Arranging all of your furniture against the walls. How boring! You may think your room is not large enough to group your furniture together but you would be surprised. If you create groupings that are close together it makes the space more intimate. Nobody will be shouting across the room.
3. Lining up your accessories everywhere. Decorating with collections can turn into clutter if you’re not careful. Leave areas of your room open so you can create visual space. Group your collections in areas that show them off best.
4. Hanging your pictures too high. No, it doesn’t make your ceilings look higher. The easiest way to fix this habit is to hang the center of the picture at eye level. Now I know everybody is a little different height, but let’s use some common sense. Make it comfortable to see the details if you can get up close.
5. Using book shelves only for books. Share the space with interesting pieces. Open up half of the shelf for a plate on a stand or a framed picture then on the next shelf open up the other side to balance the look. Have fun with it don't worry about making mistakes, when it is right you will know. Decorating shelves will add a nice touch to the room.
Your decorating mistakes are easy to fix if you know what they are. Contact me to get a completely different look in one day!
Impressions ReDesign Jonelle Tannahill 916.833.7807 or email firstname.lastname@example.org